- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The computer science major at Grand Valley State University provides students with the intellectual foundations and experiences necessary to succeed professionally in the computing and information technology field.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Computer science students receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. The diverse elective courses offered within the curriculum allow students to explore specialties within their field, such as:
- Artificial intelligence
- Computer graphics
- Mobile applications
- System security
- Usability design
- Web applications
The computer science program consists of core computer science courses, along with specialized applications. Some of these courses include:
- Computer architecture
- Operating systems
- Programming languages
- Software engineering
Job opportunities in the computing and information technology industry are growing rapidly, particularly in occupations such as:
- Computer programmer
- Network administrator
- Software engineer
- Web domain administrator
- Web programmer/developer
Why Study Computer Science at Grand Valley?
Computing professionals who want to take their expertise or career to the next level can take advantage of Grand Valley's highly-credentialed and well-connected faculty.
- Grand Valley's computer science program offers a number of electives and minors so students can tailor their education to their interests.
- The theoretical foundation of the curriculum gives students a competitive edge in the job market.
- The program uses an applied computing curriculum.
- The extensive internship opportunities available help students gain the practical experience they need to succeed.
- Small class sizes of approximately 30 students guarantee personal attention.
- The School of CIS maintains several dedicated computer labs with state of the art equipment for hands-on experience.
For More Information
School of Computing and Information Systems
“My students love my enthusiasm about teaching. They want to go home and code. It’s what we do. They’re excited about the opportunities that are out there.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University