Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The Department of Movement Science serves the diverse pre-professional needs of students who are accepted as majors or minors in physical education. The program is designed for the preparation of teachers, sport leaders, and coaches.
Physical education majors receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree with the emphasis of their choice, including:
- K-12 professional instruction emphasis
- Sport leadership emphasis
In addition to a 12-credit certificate in Sport Coaching (available to degree-seeking students), secondary level teachable minors are also available in physical education and school health education.
The goal of the core curriculum is to provide students with a broad theoretical and conceptual foundation. The curriculum is designed to encourage the examination of the philosophical, historical, psycho-social, scientific, ethical, and legal constructs of the profession.
Career opportunities include positions as:
- Camp directors
- Physical & school health educators
- Recreational leaders
- Sport administrators
- Youth sport activity leaders
Why Study Physical Education at Grand Valley?
- In addition to a strong foundation in liberal arts, the major program provides students with a broad theoretical and conceptual foundation for professional preparation.
- The combination of the core curriculum plus one or more areas of emphasis is intended to accommodate the diverse professional preparation needs of undergraduate students.
- Opportunities for students to complete fieldwork, student teaching, and/or internship experiences appropriate for their major and to better prepare them for the professional workplace.
- Personal attention by faculty in your courses and field experiences in our student oriented, teaching focused program.
“I have been provided with so many resources, and received so many opportunities to help me get started and advance in a career. There's such a good community of professors and students at Grand Valley who have helped instill confidence in me, and helped me feel assured that I'll be able to succeed after college.”
PHYSICAL EDUCATION MAJOR