Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
The study of art history explores how societies and individuals have used the visual arts to convey the ideas and values that were important to them.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
In addition to artists and their work, art historians study the interpretation of visual material and how it changes over time. The program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). A minor in art history is also available.
The curriculum offers students a broad-based knowledge of the visual arts from a global perspective while learning historical, cultural, and theoretical approaches to works of art. At the intermediate level, majors take specialized courses focusing on a historical period, geographical region, or conceptual theme that allow for in-depth study of a topic.
Students completing a degree in art history can pursue a variety of career paths including:
- Archive and library services
- Art conservation
- Editing and publishing
- Graduate work and university teaching
- Museum and gallery work
The discipline emphasizes the transferable skills of critical thinking, written, and oral communication that are the foundations of any profession.
Why Study Art History at Grand Valley?
Examining the roles of visual media from diverse cultures and historical periods offers students an understanding of context and a global outlook that are necessary in our changing world. Art history students:
- Learn in small classes that ensure individualized attention from faculty members at every level of the program.
- Benefit from a flexible, interdisciplinary curriculum that allows them to pursue a minor or double major while at GVSU.
- Develop the analytical abilities that are fundamental for the world of work and for engaged citizenship.
- Are encouraged to pursue study abroad and internship opportunities.
- Acquire the skills of self-advocacy essential for life after graduation.
- A minor in art history is also available.
“More than just a better understanding of art history, this program has given me excellent researching and writing skills as well as taught me to be more inquisitive and analytical in my everyday endeavors.”
ART HISTORY ALUMNA