Allied Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The Department of Allied Health Sciences (AHS - formerly Health Professions) is ideally situated for the educational needs of the aspiring health care professional.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
AHS provides an education tailored to meet the academic goals of students through a combination of electives, minors, and other educational experiences. AHS offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree with educational tracks for students desiring to pursue a graduate degree in:
- Occupational therapy
- Physicians assistant studies
- Physical therapy
- Speech language pathology
AHS students study a variety of different subjects including:
- Health care management
- Health professions
- Human anatomy and physiology
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that ten of the 20 fastest growing occupations are healthcare related. They also predict 3.2 million new wage and salary healthcare jobs between 2008 and 2018.
Why Study Allied Health Sciences at Grand Valley?
- Located in the state-of-the-art Cook DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) within walking distance of five hospitals, the Medical Education and Research Center, and many research, clinical, and treatment facilities.
- With its strong relationships with the region's medical community, the program is able to provide students with the opportunity for high-quality clinical experiences which are an important part of the student's learning experience.
- Courses are taught by tenure track or adjunct faculty who meet the highest levels of professional standards; the program does not use graduate assistants to teach courses.
- The College of Health Professions maintains a dedicated staff of advisors in its Student Services Office to meet the academic advising needs of its students.
For More Information
College of Health Professions
Department of Allied Health Sciences
“As a program we spend a lot of time advising our students so they can have an education that best prepares them for a future in health care. Our students secure positions with professional organizations both in West Michigan and nationwide.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University