Bus Service - Holidays/Breaks/Closures
!!SERVICE ALERT FOR MAY 2016: Please note that due to construction on 48th Avenue in Allendale, the Route 85 will not be running as part of the Break Schedule the week of May 2-6, 2016!!
When classes are not in session the bus may be running on limited "Break Service". Break service includes two routes - route 85 for apartment loop, and route 50 between Allendale and Downtown Grand Rapids. Both pick up at Kirkhof Center on Allendale Campus, so be sure to check the sign outside for route info/name.
Listed below are dates that buses are NOT in service or are on Break Service Schedule (limited service). We frequently update this page with a list of dates surrounding upcoming breaks/holidays to let you know if the bus is running.
Please note that in the event of a snow day during the cold-weather season, the buses will be running on Break Schedule service. Route 50 (50 minute service) will service Grand Rapids campus to Allendale campus and Route 85 (25 minute service loop) will serve Allendale off-campus apartment complexes.
Route Schedule & Frequency:
Monday - Friday:
- Route 50 (Campus to Campus): 6:30a - 8:15p (50 min service)
Route 85 (Combines Allendale Off-Campus Apartment Shuttles 37 & 48): 6:45a - 8:00p (25 min service) Not Available During May 2-6, 2016 Break Period
Saturday - Sunday: "Break Service" often not available on weekends - please refer to listings by date (below)
NOTE: Transitions / Move-In Week in August the buses run on an extended break schedule
EXAM CRAM/SEMESTER BREAK GVSU BUS SERVICE HOURS:
- Tuesday, 4/19/16 - Normal Winter 2016 Schedule
- Wednesday, 4/20/16 - Thursday, 4/21/16 - Normal Winter 2016 Schedule + Exam Cram (until 2a)
- Friday, 4/22/16 - Saturday, 4/23/16 - Normal Winter 2016 Schedule
- Sunday, 4/24/16 - Wednesday, 4/27/16 - Normal Winter 2016 Schedule + Exam Cram (until 2a)
- Thursday 4/28/16 - Saturday, 4/30/16 - Normal Winter 2016 Schedule
- Sunday, 5/1/16 - NO GVSU SERVICE
- Monday, 5/2/16 - Friday, 5/6/16 - Break Schedule - No Route 85 Due to 48th Ave Road Construction
- Saturday, 5/7/16 - Sunday, 5/8/16 - NO GVSU SERVICE
- Monday, 5/9/16 - Begin Normal Spring/Summer 2016 Schedule
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND GVSU BUS SERVICE HOURS:
- Friday, 5/27/16 - Normal Spring/Summer 2016 Schedule
- Saturday, 5/28/16 - Sunday, 5/29/16 - No Service Per Normal Spring/Summer 2016 Schedule
- Monday, 5/30/16 - NO SERVICE
- Tuesday, 5/31/16 - Normal Spring/Summer 2016 Schedule
INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND GVSU BUS SERVICE HOURS:
- Friday, 7/1/16 - Normal Spring/Summer 2016 Schedule
- Saturday, 7/2/16 - Sunday, 7/3/16 - No Service Per Normal Spring/Summer 2016 Schedule
- Monday, 7/4/16 - NO SERVICE
- Tuesday, 7/5/16 - Normal Spring/Summer 2016 Schedule
Which schedule do I refer to?
Fall / Winter Semesters (in general, first day of class to end of exam week, with exceptions below)
- Dates of "Holidays/Break Service" to include:
- Fall Semester:
- Labor Day (no GVSU service)
- Thanksgiving (no GVSU service)
- December Semester Break (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Christmas Eve through New Years Day (no GVSU service entire period)
- Days prior to start of Winter Semester (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Winter Semester:
- Martin Luther King Jr Recess (break/reduced GVSU service - 20 min svc from 8a-5p)
- GVSU Spring Break (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Semester Break prior to start of Spring Semester (break/reduced GVSU service)
Spring / Summer Semesters (in general, first day of class to end of exam week, with exceptions below)
- Dates of "Holidays/Break Service" to include:
- Spring Semester:
- Memorial Day (no GVSU service)
- Summer Semester:
- Independence Day (no GVSU service)
- Semester Break prior to start of Fall Semester (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Transitions/Move-In (extended break service)
Route 50 Transfer Graphic [PDF]
- All Rapid routes are FREE with valid GVSU I.D.
- Transfer to Silver Line (SL/#90) at downtown Grand Rapids locations: Michigan & Bostwick, DeVos Place, Monroe & Louis
- Pew Campus stop (W Fulton & Mt Vernon) and Westbound on Fulton/Monroe (Bagger Dave's) transfer to #12 (West Fulton).
- Just north of DeVos Center, at Lake Michigan Dr. and Seward Ave. you can transfer to bus #9 (Alpine) or #51 (DASH to the Hill).
- At Meijer (at Lake Michigan Dr. and Wilson Ave.) you can transfer to #7 (West Leonard) or #12 (West Fulton). Stop is on the south end of the parking lot near the gas station.
Featured Stops on this Route:
- Pew Campus - Fulton St between Keller Engineering Labs and DeVos Center, various downtown Grand Rapids stops, GVSU Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences
- Lake Michigan Dr. & Covall shopping plaza - Big Apple Bagel, Rite Aid, BC Pizza, Snap Fitness, and Bank of America
- Lake Michigan Dr. & Collindale - Family Fare and Speedway
- Bayberry Apartments
- Walker Fire Station is a park & ride location. You can park your car in the fire station lot and hop on the bus at Lake Michigan Dr and Kinney!
- Lake Michigan Dr. & Wilson Meijer is another park & ride location. Shopping plaza features Meijer, Panera Bread, Jet's Pizza, Chowhound Pets, Fifth-Third Bank and more.
- Allendale Campus bus stops at Mackinac Hall and the Kirkhof Center